This DIY project is great if you want to change the look of your builder grade cabinets and do not want to spend a ton of money. I am a single mom so major changes are just not in my budget. This project is from my old blog that I originally posted in August 2012. My cabinets are still looking great!
– sander/sandpaper. 100/120 grit.
– tack cloth
– General Finishes GEL Stain – 1 quart (I did my cabinets in a JAVA finish.)
– General Finishes Gel Topcoat Satin -1 quart
– Foam brushes (2 big packs)
– New cabinet hardware
– Protection for your floor/walls.
- I use packing paper with masking tape which is much cheaper for floor protection and it works well.
- Foam brushes – to get them cheap I use the local suppliers 40% off coupon so they come to a more reasonable price of about $3.00/pack.
- You will have leftover gel stain and top coat. I used the leftovers for when I framed the mirror in the bathroom at a later time.
- Use GEL stain. I tried a non-gel stain on a project prior and it just does not work as well IMHO.Steps:
1.) Remove cabinets and hardware. I did no remove the hinges but you can if you want.
2.) Tape off walls and floors.
3.) Sand cabinets and cabinet frame. I used my mouse sander and it is not a crazy sanding, just enough to dull the cabinets a little. I do use steel wool sometimes to get spots that are hard to reach. I do all the sanding outside except the frame for easier clean up.
4.) After sanding wipe everything off with wet rag (let dry) or a tack cloth to get all the sanding dust off.
5.) Using foam brush apply coat of gel stain. Let dry between coats (about 4-6 hours). I did a total of 3 coats. The first coat will look like crap, DO NOT WORRY. It looks better with more coats.
6.) Using foam brush apply coats of Gel Topcoat. Again I did 3 coats. The gel coat has a longer dry time.
7.) Put on cabinet hardware. I had to drill some extra holes for some of my hardware. Easy, Easy!
8.) Clean up.This project is easy but there is a lot of drying time of the cabinets so do not expect to do it in one weekend. Take your time and let the coats dry!
That’s it! Tell me how it goes!