I had seen this done Pre-Pinterest when looking to do my kitchen. I had bought all the stuff but I decided to do the kitchen cabinets white (my next project). I saw it again on Pinterest and was like, “why not?”. I believe in “KISS”, Keep It Simple Stupid, so I will tell you the basics! I am by no means a professional at this. (look at my grammar and mess. lol.)
What you need:
1) sander/sandpaper. 100/120 grit.
2.) tack cloth
3.) General Finishes Gel Stain. 1 Quart is what I had with half of it leftover. (make sure you get the GEL stain) and I highly recommend the exact brand. I used a Java Finish. I bought mine online @ www.amazon.com.
4.) Foam brushes (2 big packs) There is drying time and you do not want to reuse old brushes. I used my 40% coupon at Micheal’s and ACMoore which makes them like $3.00 a pack which I feel is a more reasonable price for foam brushes.
5.) General Finishes Gel Topcoat Satin. 1 quart. Again I have 1/2 of it leftover.
6.) New cabinet hardware: I bought mine at Target. (These are the $$ pricey things in this!) I think I spent like $35.00. (with leftovers).
7.) Protection for your floor/walls. I used packing paper with masking tape, much cheaper and it works well.
1.) Remove cabinets and hardware. I did no remove the hinges but you can if you want.
2.) Tape off walls and floors.
3.) Sand cabinets and cabinet frame. Again, I used my mouse sander and it is not a crazy sanding, just enough to dull the cabinets a little. I do use steel wool sometimes to get spots that are hard to reach. I do all the sanding outside except the frame for easier clean up.
4.) After sanding, wipe everything off with wet rag (let dry) or a tack cloth to get all the sanding dust off.
5.) Using foam brush apply coat of gel stain. Let dry between coats (about 4-6 hours). I did a total of 3 coats. The first coat will look like crap, DO NOT WORRY. It looks better with more coats.
6.) Using foam brush apply coats of Gel Topcoat. Again I did 3 coats. The gel coat has a longer dry time.
7.) Put on cabinet hardware. I had to drill some extra holes for some of my hardware. Easy, Easy!
8.) Clean up and good job!
This project is easy! The bulk of the time is drying time. It took me about 1 1/2 weeks, but I work a full-time job.